TABERNACLE BAPTIST CHURCH
Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. Psalm 127:3
Title: Director of Youth Ministry
Accountability: Senior Pastor/TBC Church Council/Personnel Team
The Director of Youth Ministry (DYM) is a full-time, salaried position which is responsible for coordination, oversight and administering the Tabernacle Baptist Church (TBC) Youth Ministry. The program spans birth to 18 years of age. The DYM works with TBC Senior Pastor/Church Council to ensure the educational programs for youth match the philosophy and theology of the church. The DCE also may serve as a counselor for youth-related family issues.
The DYM has a calling to youth ministry, works independently with minimal supervision, is creative and understands the needs of youth from different backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and behaviors. The incumbent is a team player, working collaboratively with other staff, volunteers, and community partners to create a safe, positive, and supportive environment for youth.
A bachelor's degree in a Christian Education related field is preferred. Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience managing youth church-based programs or activities.
The incumbent has a solid understanding of the foundations of Christian faith, a vital relationship with Jesus Christ and has a strong desire to nurture the Christian faith in our youth. Spiritual maturity, high moral and ethical conduct are a necessity. The person will be familiar with or willing to learn the Tabernacle Baptist Church Statement of Faith.
Hours of Work/Travel: The base hours are 40 to 45 hours per week. Days are to include 4 weekdays and Sunday. Hours are adjusted as necessary depending on the activity. The ability to work weekends and holidays as necessary is required.
NOTE: The below lists are not ranked in order of importance and are not exclusive. As the needs of the ministry and church change, the functions may change.
- Develops a vision and supporting short-term and long-term strategic plan to minister to the youth of TBC and Ross County. Develops a proposed budget which will support both plans and presents to the designated church leadership.
- Develops and supervises both educational and recreational activities aimed at discipleship of the youth of the church. Contributes to the team spirit and unity of Tabernacle Baptist Church.
- Set the direction and spiritual tone of the program through guidance, example, prayer, and God given skills which are a part of the gift of one called to His work.
- Work with other teams of the church in providing ministry.
- Recruit, interview, train, and supervise congregational members to assist in the educational programs.
- Plan and lead others in the establishment of youth educational programs and projects.
- Supervise the overall recreational programs as they relate to the youth program.
Other Requisite Skills
- Communicate personnel matters to the Senior Pastor/Personnel Team.
- Participate in opportunities for annual self-review, supervisor review with goal setting implemented by the Personnel Team.
- Good organizational, teaching, administration and computer/technology skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to recruit, train, organize and motivate volunteers for the children’s ministry.
- Desire to encourage multi-generational fellowship.
- Spiritual gifts including but not limited to leadership, administration, and teaching.
- Teachable, servant’s heart; team builder and team player
- Shares the vision, philosophy of ministry, and commitments of Tabernacle Baptist Church
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate ideas and directives clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Effective, active listening skills
- Organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability and skill to operate various computer programs.
- Ability to organize and compile data for various committees.
- Copy machine
- Cell phone
Additional Working Conditions:
- Frequent requirement to travel, both daily and overnight
- Frequent weekend/evening work
- Occasional interaction among unruly children
- Frequent operations of a vehicle in inclement weather conditions, i.e., being prepared to come to work on all scheduled workdays.
- Occasional lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling various items up to a maximum of 50 pounds, e.g., paper boxes, deliveries of supplies and equipment.
- Frequent repetitive hand motion, e.g., computer keyboard, typing, calculator, writing
- Frequent requirement to sit, talk, hear, see, read and speak.
All Full Time
Benefits are subject to change.
This job description is subject to change and in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the incumbent. The incumbent will be required to follow the instructions and perform the duties required by the incumbent’s supervisor and/or appointing authority.
Terms of Employment
- A Criminal Background check is required.
- References - Professional and Personal
- Valid Driver’s License
- Salary commensurate with experience
- The probationary period will be 90 days.
Interested candidates should:
Send or e-mail a letter of interest with a resume addressed to:
Tabernacle Baptist Church
221 E. Main Street
Chillicothe, Ohio 45601