Crosswood United Methodist Church
1551 Richland Road, Marion OH 43302
Job Description of Part-Time Children’s & Youth Minister
Ministry Title: Children’s & Youth Minister
Weekly/Monthly Hours: 10 hours per week or up to 40 hours per month
Reports to: Reports to Lead Pastor for day-to-day operations; reports to Crosswood’s Staff-Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) for fulfilling responsibilities as defined in this job description (including defining goals and evaluating performance); and reports to Crosswood’s Leadership Team as a valuable team member in church leadership
The Position: The Children’s & Youth Minister will work flexible hours on a weekly basis, including some evenings and weekends, as we work to build our Children’s & Youth Programming from scratch. The position is part time and paid hourly, based on 10 hours per week or up to 40 hours per month. Hours must be logged and submitted to the Lead Pastor on a bi-weekly basis. The actual number of hours required during any given week will be those the Children’s Minister needs to plan and prepare for programming elements – thus, the schedule may vary from week to week. The expectation is that the Children’s & Youth Minister will work on at least two Sunday mornings per month during the worship hour to teach Junior Church (our Kids Sunday School program); one Saturday morning per month to attend the monthly Leadership Team Meeting; and then other days and other events as they occur on a monthly or annual basis (for instance, a once-a-month Kids Ministry event or a once-a-year Vacation Bible School). Up to 40 hours per month would be for planning, organizing, and carrying out the overall program as well as meeting with the Senior Pastor, the Staff-Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) as needed, the Leadership Team on a monthly basis, and with any program volunteers. Actual hours and schedule will be discussed and agreed upon as needed on a regular basis with the Lead Pastor.
Duties and Responsibilities: The primary responsibility of the Children’s & Youth Minister is two-fold: (1) to educate children and teens in spiritual growth and (2) to train them to serve Christ in their lives.
The Children’s & Youth Minister’s duties include:
- Developing and implementing regular and consistent Christian Education programming opportunities for children ages preschool through grade school – and for youth ages sixth grade and older. Ideally, these would involve at least:
- a once-a-month event for children and youth,
- occasional (perhaps annual) mission experiences, youth retreats, etc., and
- an annual Vacation Bible School (VBS) program in the summer.
- Planning and implementing two Junior Church lessons per month (for children ages preschool through grade school) during the Sunday morning worship service.
- Setting the annual calendar for children’s and youth activities and events.
- Working with both staff and volunteers to fully integrate children and youth into the life of the church.
- Being accountable to an annual programming budget (starting at a budget of $500 per year).
Skills and Attributes: The ideal Children’s & Youth Minister will:
- Possess personal qualities that appeal to children and youth including energy, enthusiasm, and strong communication skills.
- Possess the ability to coach and challenge children and youth as they explore and grow in their Christian faith.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Christian faith and the Bible.
- Demonstrate the ability to teach a Christian curriculum.
- Bear witness to Christ in his or her daily life.
Qualifications: The Children’s & Youth Minister will play a major role in the faith development of all ages within the church, both as a leader and as an example. Crosswood seeks a person who has a solid understanding of the foundations of Christian faith – and who has a strong desire to nurture children and youth in Christian faith. The person will be familiar with or willing to learn United Methodist beliefs and policies. More than anything, we seek an energetic person who can help us generate new ideas and help us develop a comprehensive Christian education program for children of all ages – who also values a team concept of ministry and who accepts the partnership of the Lead Pastor, the Staff-Parish Relations Committee (SPRC), the Leadership Team, and all program volunteers within the church family.
The Children’s & Youth Minister will possess:
- A high school diploma or equivalent degree.
- A record and at least one reference of children’s or youth ministry experience. Two years or more of experience is preferred.
- A willingness to learn.
- An ability to work both independently and under the supervision of the Lead Pastor.
- The ability to successfully pass a background check and become “Safe Sanctuary” certified.
- Knowledge of social media platforms (preferred but not required).
- Spiritual maturity and high moral and ethical conduct.
- A sense of call and a passion for working with children, youth, and volunteers.
- A friendly, enthusiastic, and flexible team approach to working with children, youth, parents, volunteers, church members, and church staff.
- Good organizational, teaching, administration, and computer/technology skills.
- An understanding of child/adolescent development and skill level.
- An ability to relate to children and youth and be able to teach them about Christ.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Rev. Jennifer Bass, Lead Pastor at Crosswood UMC, via email at email@example.com